Thursday, February 7, 2013

We started making our own cleaning products...

I found a recipe for making laundry detergent a couple of months back on Pinterest and saw that it wasn't too hard, but then I forgot about it. 
Recently, a friend talked about making her own and I remembered being interested. The recipe I orginally found was for a liquid detergent and she had made a powdered detergent which sounded a lot easier since we didn't have to worry about boiling water and storing it in a 5 gallon bucket, so I searched for a powdered recipe and found this one which seemed really easy. While on that website I also found how to make dryer balls which really appealed to me since Ben and I both have reactions to dryer sheets. While on this website I also found a recipe for dishwasher detergent and saw it had several of the same ingredients as the laundry detergent and wanted to go ahead and try that as well. We were able to get all of the ingredients at our grocery store and a Jo Ann's for the dryer balls. The only thing we had to get off the internet was the citric acid, but we later found out that we could find some at a tractor supply store. All of the ingredients including the wool and citric acid cost us $45 and will mostly last for a year or so.
 I had my dryer balls in a bowl on top of our washer with the essential oil I like to use. Right now I only have lemongrass and eucalyptus but I'm planning on building our collection (except slowly, a lot of essential oil is expensive especially Rose and Sandalwood which are two of my favorite smells)
We decided to buy 5lbs of citric acid at one time we knew we would use it and it'll last forever.

 I ended up using the old Cascade and Tide containers for the laundry and dishwasher detergent. They were a good size and they have lids so it work out great.
So far the everything I've made has worked out just fine. I know on the website the laundry detergent is recommended for HE front loaders but we have massive old top loaders and it works fine with those.
I haven't tried white vinegar as a rise agent or as a fabric softener as the articles suggests because I'm still using my store bought ones.
I'm really interested in the website diynatural.com and have liked the recipes I've found so far. I've decided that as I run out of household products that I'll give their recipes and try and see how it goes!

Are there any cleaning products you like to make?

No comments:

Post a Comment